Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Two Solitudes




My life has been filled with amazing encounters with pileated woodpeckers. So much so, that I know to pay attention when I see one. They above all others are my favorite bird. For that reason, they seem to be a suitable pair to explore the mysterious world of the masculine and feminine. There are deep, fascinating differences between men and women and between the masculine and feminine parts of our own natures which reflect the great polarity that exists on every level of life. Much of what we are experiencing in our modern world is the movement, often painful, to understand how to respect these differences in creative and nourishing ways. When we achieve this I believe we bring balance and harmony to our lives.


'the love that consists is this, that two solitudes protect and border and salute each other.'

Rilke

'Love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction.'

Saint Exupery

No comments: