Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Evening Skies

While the moon was rising, this was the sun's farewell......
The house I live in faces east. The large glass windows serve as huge canvases of the woods and water all around. It is easy to forget with the beautiful sunrises and moonrises over the water that out the windows to the west the sky is just as wondrous. I am often caught unawares as I past from my studio into the kitchen by the passionate colors of the setting sun. In winter it is especially vivid. The air has less humidity and heat and is clearer. The colors come across sharper and more distilled. But what captures my heart is the way the bare limbs of the trees stand out against the colors. They aren't quite black. I've tried many times to capture the color with paint. It's a purple, black, brown, gray tone which eludes duplication. I have to be content with suggestion. (I could write a term paper on that subject!)

Sunsets honor the ending of the day. Perhaps that is why they have a bit of poignancy and tenderness to them. What happened has now passed into history and can never be repeated. It's done. The gathering dusk has the power to evoke pause, reflection and thoughtful consideration. There is a human tendency to do an accounting of the day-it's successes and failures--a summing up. Sometimes that happens on the drive home from work, waiting to pick up the kids from soccer or staring in the fridge trying to figure out dinner. Did we finish what we wanted to get done? and that really sticky one: What remains for tomorrow?

When we are in the jaws of life , little moments noticing a beautiful sunset may often be the only times we can come up for air in our daily lives. That evening sky with all it's brilliance can be a reminder that our wrestling with life has a reason and purpose. In a few moments spent pondering our efforts in the glow of the sun's farewell, we may come a bit closer to understanding more of what that may be.




































































No comments: