Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Quiet Walks




" One way or another, we all have to find what best fosters the flowering of our humanity in this contemporary life, and dedicate ourselves to that." Joseph Campbell


On the way to dinner one evening in Paris, I came across this quiet side street with its view of the neighborhood church. It reminded me of a photo I took the day before out in the countryside of another quiet side street, this one a simple dirt road instead of cobblestones, and lined by beautiful old pine trees instead of little shops. Standing there that evening, watching the light fade from the sky and be replaced by light spilling from the storefronts, I drank in the gentle peacefulness of the scene. The hush in the air was the same as what I had felt standing under the trees on my trip away from the hustle of the city. Both places, vastly different, were still able to create a space for solitude.
 
These days our enormous technical capacity to stay connected with one another makes it more and more difficult to allow ourselves this important and essential experience. Gone is the era of letters and news taking days and months to arrive, and everyday life for many people being centered around farms with limited social contact. Now time alone to ponder is seen more and more for those select who have chosen a contemplative life instead of essential to our humanity. The ability to endlessly talk and surf and watch each other is powerfully seductive and we are by nature, social beings. But we are also by nature, spiritual and that part of our lives is nourished through solitude. The quiet wandering around we do with ourselves creates time to sort out who we are, what we love and wish for and how to weave our hopes and dreams into our everyday life. The greatest misconception about solitude is that it is a form of loneliness. Nothing could ever be further from the truth. Loneliness arises from a belief that we have been abandoned and is generated by a fear that when we are alone, we are with nothing. Solitude is appreciated and sought when we recognize we are never, ever alone. We are always present with ourselves. We have an inner companion, the self, that is endlessly loving and devoted to us our whole lives. To expand our relationship with ourselves, to know this companion within us, requires time apart.
 
Our lives are so full. As I stood that night on the cobbled street corner I found myself thinking that as often as life has a 'too muchness', it also provides ways for us to drain off that excess and regain our footing no matter where we live. I smiled and my heart lifted as I turned to go on my way, reminded one of those could be a solitary walk down a quiet street with ourselves.











No comments: