Like it or not, here we are off and running into the New Year. Despite the struggles we found last year, they are behind us. Even if we are still wrangling with them, our deep connection to the turning of the natural world stirs within and conjurers up hope. After all these years I have come to believe that hope has its roots in our struggles. Deep within us we know that what we wrestle with has purpose and meaning. Yes, things can get worse before they get better, and in that interim we may find ourselves feeling lost and fearful. Yet, day after day, the sky brightens in the morning and we are given another page of life to write. Don't give up. Be gentle with yourself--compassionate and devoted to your being, your dreams, your hopes. Set out, fortified by what you have experienced. Life is built and lived as we go and the juiciest bits are found on the road, not at our destination.
"I love all beginnings, despite their anxiousness and their uncertainty, which belong to every commencement. If I have earned a pleasure or a reward, or if I wish that something had not happened; if I doubt the worth of an experience and remain in my past--then I choose to begin at this very second.
Begin what? I begin. I have already thus begun a thousand lives."
Rilke, Early Journals

No comments:
Post a Comment