Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Looking Beyond

When I think back over my physical reaction to the landscape of India, I will always remember how dry and dusty it was. It was winter there, and after coming from freezing temperatures and snowstorms here in the States to the Indian version of winter with daytime temperatures of 70, it made me smile to see everyone all bundled up in jackets and mufflers. Life, of course, is always relevant to experience. In Delhi and Calcutta, the largest cities I visited, the pollution is heavy. Riding in open vehicles, stalled in traffic with trucks and buses and every conceivable mode of transport spewing diesel fuel is not pleasant. It's true there is terrible litter, not so much in the government areas or in those parts of town that were developed by the British during the Raj years, but certainly all along the alleys and side streets and out in the rural areas. I thought a great deal about that. Anti-litter campaigns are a product of the industrialized world it seems and I'm sure are linked in great part, to the availability of garbage and sanitation services. Despite the lack of these elemental services, there is still great beauty everywhere. The dun colored earth and dusty foliage provided a neutral backdrop for the bright colors of the buildings and saris, flowers, fruits and vegetables—even the dazzling smiles of the people on the street. I found I soon forgot the litter because I was mesmerized by the color and smells and sounds and people.

To see more city and village scenes, please visit the link to my India Photo Journal.

No comments: